Here is our latest edition of what’s happening in Woodhaven:
- Our Top Stories
- Woodhaven Town Hall SATURDAY – 12 Noon at Emanuel
- WRBA Website
- Radio Free Woodhaven
- Local Events
- Memorial Trees – Reception 5/21
- Memorial Day Ceremony – Forest Parkway 5/21
- Memorial Day Parade – Forest Hills 5/24
- News of St. Luke’s Future
- Forest Park Carousel – Opening Weekend
- Woodhaven Historical Society Meeting 5/27
- Forest Park Carousel Benefit 6/12
- News & Announcements
- Congratulations to E-294/L-143 and E-293 Wildcats
- Forest Park Summer Events
- WORKS Little League Parade
- Forest Park Walking Club
- Woodhaven Resources
- WRBA Dance Journal
- WRBA Membership Drive
** Woodhaven Town Hall Saturday – As mentioned above, our next meeting is THIS Saturday, May 16th at 12 Noon at Emanuel United Church of Christ (91st Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard).
** Radio Free Woodhaven –
We’ll be LIVE Friday at 10 PM EST, click here to listen live
. Call in during the show, (646) 378-1612
and voice your opinion. If you miss the live broadcast, you can always click the same link to listen archives.
** Upcoming Events:
** Memorial Trees Reception – Recently it was discovered that the trees lining Forest Park Drive were planted in the names of Woodhaven soldiers who were killed during WW1 and for each Memorial Day, they would be decorated. The American legion and the Woodhaven Historical Society will be decorating them for the first time in 70+ years and will host a reception Thursday, May 21st from 5 to 8 PM at Oak Ridge. Light refreshments will be served, everyone is welcome to attend.
** Memorial Day Cememony Forest Parkway – The annual small town Memorial Day ceremony presented by the GWDC will take place at 7:30 on Thursday, May 21st. There will be patriotic music and a color guard.
** Memorial Day Parade – Forest Hills – Last year about a dozen residents marched in the Forest Hills parade representing Woodhaven. Can we do better this year? We’re meeting at Ascan Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue at about 11:30 AM on Sunday, May 24th. Come out and show `em that Woodhaven cares!
** News of St. Luke’s Future – A merger of Christ Lutheran, Ozone Park, St. Philip, Cypress Hills, and St. Luke, Woodhaven will go into effect Sunday, May 24. The new church will temporarily gather at the space now used by St. Luke (temporary for 2-3 yrs). The new name of the church will be All Saints. A Bilingual “Moving Forward” / Closing Service will take place Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 10:30AM. The “Resurrection” / Opening Service takes place later the same day at 4:00PM. Both services at 87-34 85th Street, Woodhaven, NY
** Woodhaven Historical Society – The guest speaker in May is David Galst, Operations Manager of the Forest Park Carousel, and he’ll be speaking about the renovation mentioned above. Wedensday, May 27th at 1 PM at Emanuel United Church of Christ (91st Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard).
** SSNDEC Benefit at the Carousel
– Save the date! Come ride the Forest Park Carousel for a good cause. All proceeds from the carousel on Friday June 12th from 5 PM to 9 PM will go to The School Sisters of Notre Dame Educational Center for Women in Woodhaven, NY. The School Sisters do a marvelous job helping improve the lives of families by helping women get better jobs through getting their GED and/or helping them learn English as their second language. There will be a free magic show, face painting – and loads of fun. Come out and enjoy this NYC Landmark and help a great local cause! Click here for details
** News & Announcements:
** Congratulations to E-294/L-143 and E-293 Wildcats –
BOTH of our stations are celebrating their 100th Anniversary this year. If you’re interested in a commemorative T-Shirt for E-294, click this link
** Forest Park Summer Events – Magic Shows, Puppet Shows, Zumba, Beatlemania, Rod Stewart, Elivis – there’s something for everyone on Forest Park’s Summer Schedule –click here to see what’s on tap!
** WORKS Little League Parade – Click here for pictures and video from this year’s annual march through Woodhaven. The WRBA Royals (4 and 5 year olds) will be playing the next few Wednesdays at the track at Victory Field starting at 6 PM. Come out and root for the WRBA Royals!
** Forest Park Walking Club – Walking Club meets every Saturday at the flagpole at Victory Field at 1 p.m. The workout is canceled only in case of heavy rain or strong wind. Participants do not have to sign up. Click here for more info.
** Woodhaven Resources – Click here
for a new page that is a useful resource of local numbers and links — you will find local clubs and organizations, emergency numbers, city agencies, elected officials, schools and churches. This is a work in progress – if you come across any incorrect information or information you think should be added, please drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** WRBA Dance Journal
– Each year, the WRBA produces a journal for its dinner dance. The journal looks back on the past 12 months, pays tribute to our honorees, and includes many ads from businesses and sponsors — click here to take a few moments to look through this year’s WRBA Journal. And please take note of the businesses that supported our community by taking out an ad in this year’s journal. Return the favor – support these businesses – and please thank them the next time you are doing business with them. Without their support, much of what the WRBA does would not be possible.
** WRBA Membership Drive – Many thanks to everyone who signed up as new members or renewed their existing memberships. Our drive for new memberships and renewals continues. If you want to renew or sign-up online, click here.
Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association