In this issue of The Grapevine:
- Next Town Hall Saturday 05/17
- Highlights of April 2014 Town Hall
- Adopt a Platoon
- Playground Cleanup
- Meet the 2014 WRBA Royals
- Flag Day Barbecue Thanking The Vets 06/14
- Roadwork in Woodhaven
- Volleyball Challenge Scholarship Fundraiser
- Radio Free Woodhaven
- GWDC Spring Dance
- St. Thomas History Club Tours Historic Woodhaven Cemetery
- Represent Woodhaven in the 2014 Memorial Day Parade
- The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale 2014
- Pitch, Hit and Run Competition on Saturday
- Lost Pup Alert – Yorkie Named Mia
- Woodhaven Historical May Meeting
- Victorian Wedding at Maple Grove Cemetery
- Free Tree Giveaway
- The Bushwicks – Woodhaven’s Semi-Pro Baseball Team
- Abandoned Rockaway Beach Branch Survey
- Soccer League Summer Camps
- School Sisters of Notre Dame Raffle
We have an information-packed Grapevine for you this week. Forward the Grapevine to your friends and neighbors in Woodhaven! Ask them to sign up for the latest alerts. An archive of past Grapevines can be found here
** Next Town Hall Meeting
– Our next Town Hall will be Saturday, May 17, 1 PM at the American Legion Hall 89-02 91st Street (near PS 60). Click here for highlights (picture and video) of our April 2014 Town Hall meeting
. Video highlights include presentations by State Senator Joe Addabbo, Councilman Eric Ulrich and Circle Academy, the proposed Charter School in Woodhaven.
** Adopt a Platoon – American Legion Post 118 would like some help in sending a box of goods to a platoon in Afghanistan. Any items you think the young men and women in Afghanistan would enjoy — toothpaste, toothbrushes, cookies, teabags, etc. Bring them to the next Town Hall meeting on the 17th – that will be your last chance to donate items! Click here for the American Legion Post 118’s latest newsletter!
** Playground Cleanup – The Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association would like to thank everyone who came out to Mary Whalen Playground (79th and Park Lane South) last Saturday. 70 volunteers helped collect over 100 bags of leaves, twigs, sticks and litter. Click here for our press release – and click here for a fun video!
** The 2014 WRBA Royals –
Through donations big and small, the residents of Woodhaven chipped in to sponsor a WORKS Little League teams again this year — it’s the T-Ball squad, The Royals (same as we had last year). They’re fun to watch – click here to see them
! We’re going back next Thursday, 5:45 PM at Victory Field – come out and join your friends and neighbors and watch Woodhaven’s Team!
** Flag Day Barbecue Thanking the Vets – We will be holding a Flag Day Barbecue to thank our Vets on Saturday, June 14th outside of the American Legion. In order to do this we are putting together a small committee of people to work on planning it – interested in planning a party? Email us and let us know. Also – we are looking to borrow a few tents for that day – if you have a tent and would not mind loaning it to honor our veterans, please email us and let us know! Want to Help the Vets? We could use a few people to help out that day – putting up the tents, tables, chairs, etc. We need some volunteers. Got some youngsters looking for volunteers work? Put them to work helping the vets! Contact us.
** Roadwork in Woodhaven
– Nearly 18 miles worth of roads in Woodhaven are getting milled and paved this month and next (May and June). No exact dates are available – but if you want to see if your street is on the list to get worked on click here
** Volleyball Challenge Scholarship Fundraiser
– The students of St. Thomas the Apostle are holding a unique fundraiser
Saturday May 17th at 11 AM at Monsignor Mulz Hall (88-08 Jamaica Avenue). Tickets are $5 per person, $8 per family. Click here
to hear an interview we did with Event Coordinator Dee Santana.
** GWDC Spring Dance
– The Greater Woodhaven Development Corporation is holding their annual Spring Dance at 7:30 PM on Friday June 6th at the Woodhaven Manor (96-01 Jamaica Avenue). The honorees are: Woman of the Year 2014 Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez; Man of the Year 2014 WBID President Mathew Xenakis; Award of Distinction 2014 Deputy Inspector Henry Sautner of the 102nd Precinct; Honorary Woodhavenite Award 2014 to George Smith; and Awards of Appreciation 2014 to State Senator Joseph Addabbo and Assemblyman Michael Miller. Tickets are $65 and include all-evening buffet and libations, as well as a DJ spinning doo-wop and modern music. Call 718-805-0202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to purchase tickets.
** St. Thomas History Club –
The students of the St. Thomas the Apostle History club recently took a tour of the Wyckoff-Snedicker Family Cemetery (behind All Saints Church
on 96th Street) as part of a project researching its’ history. Click here to view pictures of their trip
. Also, follow the STA History Club on Facebook
to get updates on their other projects including sneak previews of their Woodhaven History Coloring Book for children!
** Represent Woodhaven in the Memorial Day Parade – Every year the Woodhaven Historical Society marches in the Memorial Day Parade on Metropolitan Avenue in Forest Hills representing our community. For a while, we were down to a single marcher. Last year we had 3 marchers representing Woodhaven. Are you interested in marching and representing Woodhaven? The parade is on Sunday, May 25th starting at Noon and last about an hour – a fun activity for the whole family! Please RSVP if interested!
** The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale 2014
– Back by popular demand the WRBA will be sponsoring The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale again in 2014. Last year over 60 families participated with a good number reporting sales of well over $100 — this year we’re aiming for 100 participating households. The 2014 Great Woodhaven Yard Sale will be on Saturday, September 27, from 9AM to 4PM (rain date Sunday, September 28, same times). Click here to register
** Pitch, Hit and Run – WORKS Little League has been chosen by Major League Baseball to run the annual Pitch, Hit and Run competition. It will be held on Saturday May 10th at Pals Oval (88th Street and North Conduit Blvd in Ozone Park). Registration Starts at 2:30pm, the PHR competition starts at 3:00pm, rain or shine.
** Woodhaven Historical Society May Presentation
– Next meeting Wednesday May 28th at 1 PM “The Routes Not Taken: A Trip Through New York City’s Unbuilt Subway System” Author Joe Raskin will speak about his recently released book about our Subway System and the system that was almost built (click here for a review
). Mr. Raskin works for the MTA and is also an avid photographer of houses – click here to see a collection of his Woodhaven photographs
** Victorian Wedding at Maple Grove Cemetery
– The Friends of the Maple Grove Cemetery are holding a wedding ceremony for a devoted couple who are interred at Maple Grove Cemetery, Mary and Jonathan Coward. They were pre Civil War sweethearts who were separated by the Civil War and reunited 50 years later and married. They are planning to celebrate the youthful Victorian wedding that they missed – click here for details
** Interested in a Free Tree?
The Forest Hills Tree Giveaway
will be on Sunday, May 18the from 1 PM – 3 PM. 200 small potted free trees will be available for pickup at MacDonald Park on Queens Blvd & 70th Ave, which you can adopt & plant on private property. If you live in a building, consult with your super. (If you choose not to reserve your tree online, a limited quantity will be available at the event on a first-come, first-served basis. If trees are remaining at the end, you can adopt more than 1 tree.) Available trees include: River Birch
, American Sweetgum
, Tulip Tree
, Eastern Redbud
, Black Walnut
** Abandoned Rockaway Beach Branch Survey
– The Office of Community Studies at Queens College and the Urban Studies research methods class are conducting a study of the potential effects of various proposals and options for the redevelopment of the abandoned Rockaway Beach Branch of the Long Island Railroad. If you would like to take part in a survey, click here to download the survey form (it is a PDF)
. Once you finish answering the questions, save the file and email it to Ed Wendell at email@example.com
** Soccer League Summer Camps
– The Woodhaven Soccer league has announced their dates for Summer Camps. Campers get five days of soccer training per week with a focus on technical drill sessions & competitive scrimmages. The Camps are geared toward beginning, intermediate and elite travel soccer players ages 6 to 14. They offer 2 different Summer Soccer Camps and the flexibility of choosing all 5 weeks or individual weeks. Click here for details
** Last Chance – School Sisters Raffle
– The School Sisters of Notre Dame are holding a raffle, the winning prizes are $100 Metro Cards. Tickets are only $2 each and can be purchased at the SSND Educational Center (call 718-738-0588). Would you like to purchase a few tickets? Contact Ed Wendell at firstname.lastname@example.org – he will deliver anywhere in Woodhaven.
Until next time,
Your friends and Neighbors at the
Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association