In this issue of The Grapevine:
- Next Town Hall Saturday 05/17
- Flag Day Barbecue Thanking The Vets 06/14
- American Legion Post 118 Newsletter
- Playground Cleanup – Saturday
- A View of Woodhaven Slideshow Free Encore Wednesday (04/30)
- The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale 2014
- WORKS 2014 Parade – Pics and Video
- The WRBA Royals Play on Sunday at Victory Field Track 1 PM
- No-Cost Breast Cancer Screening Middle Village Thursday (05/01)
- Light The Night Walk to Fight Cancer Sunday (05/03)
- Park Lane South / Woodhaven Boulevard Intersection
- Woodhaven Boulevard SBS Meeting
- Abandoned Rockaway Beach Branch Survey
- Soccer League Summer Camps
- Protect Your Android
- Adopt a Platoon
- School Sisters of Notre Dame Raffle
** Next Town Hall Meeting – Our next Town Hall will be Saturday, May 17, 1 PM at the American Legion Hall 89-02 91st Street (near PS 60).
** Flag Day Barbecue Thanking the Vets – We will be holding a Flag Day Barbecue to thank our Vets on Saturday, June 14th outside of the American Legion. In order to do this we are putting together a small committee of people to work on planning it – interested in planning a party? Email us and let us know. Also – we are looking to borrow a few tents for that day – if you have a tent and would not mind loaning it to honor our veterans, please email us and let us know!
** Playground Cleanup – The Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association is working with Forest Park, to keep our park clean. We will be cleaning up Mary Whalen Playground (78th and Park Lane South) on Saturday, May 3rd at 9 AM. The Parks Department will be providing tools and T-Shirts to people who RSVP. Reply to this email if you want to be part of this fun event – perfect for children and families.
** A View of Woodhaven Free Slide Show –
The Woodhaven Historical Society’s presentation entitled “A View of Woodhaven – Part 1” attracted a big crowd last week (click here for some video
) – for those who are interested, there will be an encore presentation on Wednesday April 30th at 1 PM at Emanuel United Church of Christ.
** The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale 2014
– Back by popular demand the WRBA will be sponsoring The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale again in 2014. Last year over 60 families participated with a good number reporting sales of well over $100 — this year we’re aiming for 100 participating households. The 2014 Great Woodhaven Yard Sale will be on Saturday, September 27, from 9AM to 4PM (rain date Sunday, September 28, same times). Click here to register
** WORKS 2014 Parade
– Did you see the parade this year down Jamaica Avenue in Woodhaven? Did you see the players and parents and managers and coaches stream up Forest Parkway to the bandshell in Forest Park? Well, if you missed it click here for pictures and video
. BTW, the Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association’s team is named The Royals and they’ll be playing at Victory Field (on the track) at 1 PM on Sunday (05/04). A few of us are going to root for our team – we hope you’ll join us!
** No-Cost Breast Cancer Screening Middle Village Thursday –
The American-Italian Cancer Foundation’s (AICF) mobile, No-Cost Breast Cancer Screening Program which provides mammograms and clinical breast exams to uninsured and medically underserved New York City women is scheduled to conduct screenings at Senator Addabbo’s Middle Village Office at 66-85 73rd Place, Middle Village, NY 11379 on Thursday, May 1st. To schedule an appointment please call 1-877-628-9090
. Click here for more info.
** Light The Night Walk to Fight Cancer – A group of Zumba Instructors from Eagle Taekwondo Academy are trying to raise funds to fight cancer by taking part in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night Walk. You can participate by joining them at 102-45 Jamaica Ave, Richmond Hill on Saturday 05/03/14 from 12:00PM to 2:00PM. There is a minimum donation of $15 and it is suggested that you wear something red or white or black — but if don’t have anything in those colors, don’t worry! 100% off the proceeds will be donated. If you cannot attend, you can donate by going to lightthenight.org and donating in the name of Eagle Taekwondo. Click here for more details.
** Park Lane South / Woodhaven Boulevard Intersection
– You may have seen this article in the Forum
about the dangers involved in crossing that intersection. As an FYI, after the resident came to the WRBA we spoke with the 102 Precinct and Deputy Inspector Sautner and have requested a crossing guard for this location. Action on this request is pending.
** Abandoned Rockaway Beach Branch Survey
– The Office of Community Studies at Queens College and the Urban Studies research methods class are conducting a study of the potential effects of various proposals and options for the redevelopment of the abandoned Rockaway Beach Branch of the Long Island Railroad. If you would like to take part in a survey, click here to download the survey form (it is a PDF)
. Once you finish answering the questions, save the file and email it to Ed Wendell at firstname.lastname@example.org
** Soccer League Summer Camps
– The Woodhaven Soccer league has announced their dates for Summer Camps. Campers get five days of soccer training per week with a focus on technical drill sessions & competitive scrimmages. The Camps are geared toward beginning, intermediate and elite travel soccer players ages 6 to 14. They offer 2 different Summer Soccer Camps and the flexibility of choosing all 5 weeks or individual weeks. Click here for details
** Adopt a Platoon – American Legion Post 118 would like some help in sending a box of goods to a platoon in Afghanistan. They need baby wipes, green tea and chai, tooth paste, razors, soap, fly swatters. If you’d like, drop off the items tomorrow night at the American Legion at the Woodhaven Town Hall meeting.
** School Sisters Raffle
– The School Sisters of Notre Dame is holding a raffle, the winning prizes are $100 Metro Cards. Tickets are only $2 each and can be purchased at the SSND Educational Center (call 718-738-0588). Would you like to help the Sisters sell some tickets? Contact Ed Wendell at email@example.com.
Until next time,
Your friends and Neighbors at the
Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association