In this issue of The Grapevine:
- Our Top Stories
- Next Town Hall – SATURDAY 07/19 10 AM Start
- Thursday Night Concert & Night Time Carousel Ride
- Woodhaven Cemetery Cleanup Recap
- Universal Pre-K on Radio Free Woodhaven Friday @ 10 PM
- Help Wanted: Universal Pre-K Teacher
- Woodhaven Celebration & Fundraiser Tickets Now on Sale
- Local Events
- Free Basketball Camp 7/21 through 7/25
- No Cost Digital Mammograms & Clinical Breast Exams 7/24 @ 9 AM
- Blood Drive at Emanuel United Church of Christ 7/26 @ 9 AM
- NYFAC Bike Ride to Fight Autism 7/26
- Defensive Driving Class 8/2 @ 9 AM
- Night Out Against Crime 8/5 @ 6 PM
- Sen. Addabbo’s BBQ for Vets 8/16 @ 12 PM
- Carousel Ride to Fight Alzheimer’s 8/22 @ 6:30
- International Food Day @ All Saints 8/23
- The Great Woodhaven Yard Sale 2014 9/27 10 AM
- News & Announcements
- Eric Ulrich Discusses Woodhaven, New Graffiti Program & More
- Mike Miller Discusses Woodhaven, Announces Will Run Unopposed
- High School Equivalency Program in Woodhaven
- Two Arrested in Fatal Beating
- Atlantic Avenue a Concern
- WRBA Membership Drive
** Our Top Stories:
** Town Hall Meeting - Our next Town Hall will be Saturday July 19th 10AM at Emanuel United Church of Christ (corner of 91st Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard). Please take note of the early start time – start your day with a Town Hall meeting and have the rest of the day for Summer activities
** Thursday Night Concert & Carousel – There is a free concert at 7:30 the bandshell Thursday (July 17th) – a Rod Stewart Tribute (click here for a preview). If you want to go with friends and neighbors, a few of us will be on the left-hand side (facing the stage) towards the back (we’ll get there around 6:45). And then afterwards, we’re going on an evening ride at the Forest Park Carousel (which is open on concert nights until 9:30). Come out and enjoy a concert and the carousel – we’ll see you there!
** Woodhaven Cemetery Cleanup – The clean up of Wyckoff-Snedicker Family Cemetery is underway – click here for pictures and video. These clean ups are family-friendly, and great educational events for young students. Clean ups will be held on the 2nd Saturday of every month – the next cleanup is 9 AM on Saturday, August 9th. Volunteers are needed and welcome!
** Radio Free Woodhaven – You may have seen the news that Universal Pre-K Classes will be offered at our Woodhaven Library. Jen Manley (VP of Community Affairs) and Nick Buron (VP of Community Services) will be speaking about this on Friday’s episode of Radio Free Woodhaven (click here to listen Friday at 10 PM). You can always click the same link to listen in the archives. During the show you can call in to speak with the host – (646) 378-1612.
** Universal Pre-K Teacher Needed – A follow-up on the item above, the Queens Public Library would ideally like to hire a teacher from our community. Here is the link to the job posting for Universal Pre-K Teacher. Please pass along to anyone who may fit the bill.
** Woodhaven Residents Annual Celebration – The WRBA’s Annual Dinner Dance is scheduled for Friday October 10th (that’s 10/10 — easy to remember!) and will be held this year at Roma View Catering. Stay tuned for the big announcements on who will be honored – we know it’s going to create some buzz! Flash! Tickets just went on sale – click here to purchase your tickets online – as you might have guessed, prices went up this year, but . . . we’re keeping our dance tickets at $65 per person. Note: Our annual journal is a nice looking booklet that gets high visibility since we publish it on the web (click here to see the 2013 Journal). We’ve kept ad prices the same, click here to order an ad online).
** No Cost Digital Mammograms & Clinical Breast Exams – A Mobile Care Clinic will be in front of Queens County Savings Bank (corner of Woodhaven Boulevard & Jamaica Avenue) on Thursday, July 24 from 9 AM to 4 PM. This is sponsored in the memory of Ginny Campione, click here for requirements, call 1-877-628-9090 for an appointment. (Update: Ginny Campione worked at Columbia Savings Bank years ago – click here to hear our interview with her son Billy).
** Atlantic Avenue a Concern - Following up on the story above, there have been a lot of concerns lately about response to conditions on Atlantic Avenue. Click here for more details. Clickhere for more details. It is likely that this will be one topic discussed at our Town Hall meeting this Saturday morning at 10 AM.